Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Introductions...

I know a lot of people skip introductions. Some people prefer their readings to be without elaborations or initial greetings. I've even known a few people who read the introductions after they have finished the work, which to me seems to be an interesting concept. It has the same connotations in the world of literature as getting to know someone thoroughly -- intimately -- before introducing yourself or allowing them to extend a handshake and offer their name.
So, in effect, literary voyeurism.
For the peeping toms out there who wish to hurry on to the next window, I will extend the offer of continuing to the next (and, really, first) post. For those who will allow me to extend my hand, I will offer a small explanation. A momentary pause in which to lists my intents and purposes.
I am a slave to consumerism. Not in the traditional way it's understood. I in no way believe that buying 12 dozen baskets of Harry and David fruit will bring happiness (though it may bring fiber). I am wary of large corporations, am not a particular fan of shopping, and do not clamor to purchase the latest fashions and trends.
But still, I am a consumer slave, when it comes to certain choice markets. I am a slave to "free" culture. Information, wherever it can be obtained freely, thrills me. I have been held tightly in the shackles of libraries across America since my youth, and use late fees as a way to bribe my way out of servitude. My Netflix queue is full -- both on instant watch and the "to be mailed" sections. Podcasts destroy the majority of my hard drive. I have been wrecked by a storm of availability.
This is the outlet of an addict. A person who has become infused in the system. I am permanently plugged in.
I'm embarking on a mission to document my experiments with information overload. And I'm taking all of you with me.
Maybe you'll find it easier to resist. But if not, perhaps I can make it a pleasant experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment